Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Werewolves by Nathan Robert Brown

Book information:
Brown, Nathan Roberts. (2009). The Complete Idiot's Guide to Werewolves. New York: Alpha Books.


My Review

Are you a fan of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books? When you watch/read the Twilight series, do you like Jacob better than Edward? Does the full moon make your hair curl?

If you said yes to any of the above questions, you may want to take a look at The Complete Idiot's Guide to Werewolves by Nathan Robert Brown. This book covers many areas of werewolf culture, from their mythology and historical werewolf trials, to werewolf videogames and movies. The writing style is quite tongue-in-cheek, and the book is filled with bite-sized trivia. Each chapter finishes with a series of highlights called "The Least You Need to Know". One section that readers really might enjoy is Chapter 15: "Once Bitten.... Then What?", which describes the life of a typical werewolf in such a matter-of-fact way that I feel the author had a really good laugh while writing it.

My Notes

I picked this book up since I am fascinated by reading social/cultural histories and I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books (Remus Lupin was a really sympathetic character). I hadn't realized that werewolves had quite such a long and complicated background. After reading the table of contents, I was BITTEN  and had to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment