Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Flannery

My Review

Readers who enjoy Flannery O'Connor should take a look at Brad Gooch's Flannery. This book draws on a variety of sources, including interviews and letters, to provide a well-rounded portrait of the humor, religious devotion and social times that strongly influenced Flannery O'Connor and her work. Gooch brings to light many of O'Connor's personality quirks, including her fondness for birds and her solitary nature, and uncovers many of the real life people and incidents that appear in her stories and novels.

Gooch, Brad. Flannery: A Life of Flannery O'Connor.
Little, Brown and Company, 2009

464 pages


Personal Notes

I received this book as a Christmas gift, and was thrilled to read it. As a university student, I read and enjoyed Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man Is Hard to Find. Since I own a pet budgie, I was intrigued by her fascination with birds (and her ability to train a chicken to walk backwards!) What I really admire about this book is that Gooch does not overplay O`Connor`s struggles with lupus, and writes respectfully of her life and hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment